Tropical Winter Smoothie

And what happens when your blender breaks down...


For quite some time I was thinking about replacing my "old" blender with something more powerful like Vitamix or Blendetec blender, but resisted the purchase for at least two reasons: I am an old fashion raw foodie who prefers a crunchy salad to a smoothie, and I do not like plastic and most expensive blenders have a plastic jar. Many of my recipes can be made without a blender, so why bother?


Now, that the inevitable happened and my blender broke before I could properly blend this smoothie, I have no choice, but to simply go shopping. I still have not made up my mind what product to buy, but I promise to keep you posted when a new product arrives at my door.

Use as many fresh ingredients as you can, but frozen fruit is OK as well. Modern technology makes it possible to preserve the vitamin content in frozen fruits and vegetables. The only thing that you cannot control is the ripeness of the ingredients. 

Ingredients: 
  • 1-2 fresh, very ripe mangoes
  • 1 small papaya
  • 1 very ripe pineapple
  • 2 bananas
  • juice of 1 large lemon
  • 2 cups coconut water (I used water straight from a fresh Philippine coconut)
  • 2 Tbsp raw honey (for the immune system support)
  • 1 tsp baobab powder (rich in Vitamin C)
  • 1/3 cup green superfoods powder 
  • pinch Celtic sea salt
  • 1 cup fresh greens, chopped (I used greens from organic radishes, you can use kale, spinach, or chard)


Method: 
  • Blend all the fruits, lemon juice and coconut water. When you use very ripe fruits you do not have to add any sugar to make your smoothie sweet.
  • Add all the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. (This is where my blender broke and left my radish greens only partially blended.)
  • Adjust the taste to your personal liking and whiz again.
  • Pour into glasses and enjoy in good company!

Tip: I am aware that many vegans do not eat honey. Unfortunately, there is nothing in nature like the raw honey to support your immune system. The healing properties of honey were known in Ancient Egypt and Ancient China. If you decide to use honey in your recipes, purchase organic raw honey from responsible apiaries. Such honey is very expensive, but you can be sure that it was produced as ethically as possible. 

In radiant health, passionately raw - Dominique

Dominique Allmony©2017